Conference report by our interns: Academics Facing Autocracy: Alternative Modalities and Transnational Resilience in Higher Education
Upcoming workshop in Budapest – March 20,2023
The fellows are asked to present in no more than 15 mins their experience with authoritatian or autocratic threat and the alternative education that emerged, concentrating on:
- the political context,
- the institutional setting of your alternativ eeducation,
- its transnational connections
- and its pedagogical innovation.
- Alex Voronovici – former instructor at Moscow Higher School of Economics
- Almira Ousmanova – professor of European Humanities University in Vilnius (university in exile from Belarus)
- Nurzhamal Karamoldoeva -professor of the American University of Central Asia
Discussant: Nikita Bogachev
- Anna Gaal – Free SZFE Budapest
- Lourdes Peroni – Perú
- Noémi Levy-Aksu – organizer of solidarity academies in Turkey
- Thiago Amparo – Brazil
The fellows’ first meeting took place on February 23 where right after a round of introductions, the team set out to establish a framework within which to study the various cases they know of academics resisting authoritarian regimes’ attacks on education by creating alternative ways for it. The program’s fellows have first-hand experiences with such cases and are committed to share their knowledge and help victims of similar attacks by participating in a new initiative to examine how can models be applied in different contexts and thus functional practices transferred transnationally.